Mother’s Day is Sunday, May 13th. Do you have any Mother’s Day activities planned for your preschool children? Here are some ideas we thought of for celebrating this special holiday outdoors on the preschool playground.
1. Have a Picnic – Lay out a blanket in the grass for mothers and children to have a picnic together. Children can help prepare the picnic by making easy snacks such as fruit kabobs or a snack mix of pretzels, raisins, nuts, cereal, dried fruit, etc.
2. Plant a Garden – Mothers and children can work together to plant a flower or vegetable garden.
3. Seed to Plant Mother’s Day Cards – Collect the seeds from a plant. Use the seeds and the plant to decorate the front of a Mother’s Day card. You can talk with the children about how the plant is like the mother and the seeds are like the children.
4. Can of Flowers – Collect aluminum cans (with smooth edges). The children can decorate the cans with paints or by gluing yarn, ribbons, small stones or jewels onto the can. Add some dirt and plant some flowers in the can to make a recycled flower pot for Mom.
5. Flower Vases – Decorate clear plastic cups with squares of tissue paper brushed over with mod podge. Pick a few flowers to put into the vase.
If you enjoy growing flowers with young children, visit our page about the Pizza Garden to see some more ways to garden with children on a natural playscape.
Have a very happy Mother’s Day!
Picture Source: http://www.sxc.hu/